Friday, April 10, 2009

New eyes

Tomorrow will be my one month PRK anniversary (aww) and I truly feel like I have new eyes. At times I actually think that my vision is clearer than it was with glasses or contacts. I'm not sure if this means my visual acuity is actually better than 20/20, or that my glasses and contacts were just always dirty, but I will return to the doctor next Wednesday and find out for certain. I sometimes feel that one eye is slightly weaker than the other, but any differences are minor and sporadic. I continue to use steroid drops three times a day as well as lubricating drops, but my eyes rarely feel dry so I have to make an effort to remember use them. I continue to wear sunglasses outdoors, even on rainy or overcast days, which feels silly but the doctors insist that this reduces the odds that I will experience corneal weakening.

At this point I can definitely say that I'd recommend PRK to anyone who is not a LASIK candidate. The initial pain, discomfort, bluriness and dryness are less than ideal, but they are temporary. Since I took a few days off to recover that part wasn't too bad. The most difficult part was struggling to work long hours in the first 2.5 weeks or so when my vision was fluctuating and blurry and my eyes were dry. It was hard to be patient and frustrating not knowing when your vision would improve and how much it would improve. But so far, it seems worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment